Venison Broccoli Stirfry


 I grew up eating wild game and fish regularly. Then I got married, and my hubby neither hunts nor fishes...hmmm...this could be a dilemma. But thank the Lord for friends who hunt and fish. A friend recently gave me a few packages of venison and to say I was excited about this "gold" was an understatement. While elk is my favorite, I'll take anything....except bear. 

The other night I was craving a beef broccoli stirfry and thought, "hey, why not use the venison in the freezer". It was spot on! Granted venison may not be easily accessible but if you did get your hand on some venison flank steaks...this should be on the menu...or these tacos I made another time. Those were the bomb too. The family loved this and I made enough to have leftovers the next day. Serve with rice, or simply by itself...it really doesn't need a counterpart. 


Ingredients:

1-2lbs venison flank steak or beef flank steak, thinly sliced
cornstarch to toss
2-3 large heads of broccoli cut in bite sized pieces
1/2 onion, large chopped
1/2-1 pkg mushrooms
1 can water chestnuts
1 c. cashews roasted (opt....and more or less)
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 Tbs. sesame oil

Sauce ingredients:

2/3 c. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 Tbs. honey
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tsp. ginger grated or finely chopped
2 tsp. corn starch
2 tsp. water

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, sprinkle steak with cornstarch.

2. In a large skillet heat coconut oil and sesame oil in pan and add meat. Cook until almost all the way cooked through and remove from pan. 

3. If needed add a bit more oil. Add broccoli and onions. When broccoli is a nice crisp tender, add mushrooms and add back in the meat. Stir to mix in.

4. Pour sauce over pan ingredients. Stir to incorporate well. Sauce should start to thicken a bit. Add water chestnuts and cashews, cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve. 

I like things on the saucy side so you could lessen this if you want or add a bit more liquid at the end if you need to. I also topped mine with some hemp seeds (I didn't have any sesame seeds).





With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

  1. We love venison, but I've never used it in a stir-fry before! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts