Bread-less BLT's with Chipotle Avocado Mayo



I've mentioned before that I love finding ways to re-vamp old favorites, making them a bit more healthy. Of course, I still love the "old" comfort recipes too, and still make them, just in moderation. One of my favorites from when I was little was the good ole' BLT. But after I got married, I just never really made it. I'm not sure why. A week or so ago a video surfaced on Facebook for bread-less BLT's and since we are trying to cut back on carbs I thought this would be a perfect meal. I love it when I'm right. I wasn't sure these would be filling enough but sometimes I think the feeling of "full" is more of a mental trick than a physical one. I try to go for "satisfied" rather than "full" because I feel like at that point, you've gone past the point of what would have been enough. Three of these Lettuce BLT's and some cantaloupe were plenty for me. I was satisfied but not "full".


These would be great for a light lunch, brunch, or even a picnic. In the season of life that we've been in, we don't have a lot of time for company but I always keep a mental list of meals that would work for company should the opportunity arise. 
I used cherry tomatoes off my tomato plant and they were so good and sweet! Use whatever you want though.

Ingredients

Romaine Lettuce leaves
Bacon
chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 Avocados
1/4-1/2 c. mayonnaise
chipotle powder
1 tsp. lime juice
dash garlic and onion powder


Instructions

1. Wash leaves and set aside. 

2. Cook your bacon til crisp, drain on a paper towel lined plate. You can assemble these while the bacon is hot or let it cool down first. 

3. In blender or food processor add avocados and mayo. Process till smooth. Add seasonings tasting as you go until it's how you want it. I probably only put 1/8-1/4tsp. chipotle powder because I am a wimp when it comes to spicy things. You can either 1) spread mayo on leaves with a knife or 2) place in a plastic bag, cut corner and squeeze out in a nice line (that's what I did).

4. To assemble; layer bacon on lettuce leaves. If you didn't already put mayo on leaves, go ahead and pipe it on top of bacon, then top with tomatoes. The mayo helps the tomatoes stay put. 

5. Indulge and enjoy!!

With Joy Unquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts