Recipe: Blueberry Zuchinni Bread


Blueberries are in season in our neck of the woods. A few weeks ago we purchased two flats from our local Farmers Market. I froze both flats in gallon size bags to use for smoothies or baked goods. I also have about 8-10 bushes on our property. This is the first year I've actually gotten berries off of them. After I discovered the deer were helping themselves to blossoms I covered them with some netting and I have enjoyed picking about a pint every other day. It is so fun to eat the fruits of our labor and knowing they haven't been sprayed with nasty stuff! There's something therapeutic about going out and picking your own produce. Because of our deer problem I also planted some veggies in containers on my porch. Tomatoes, kale, lettuce, carrots, radishes and cucumbers. I love walking out my door, watering them, checking on their progress. If they are successful, this may be my ticket to gardening till I can have a fenced garden. 
Back to blueberries. A friend gave me some zucchini yesterday so I decided to make some zucchini bread for a LulaRoe party I was having in the evening, but then I also remembered my hubby asking me why I hadn't made any blueberry muffins or anything since I had a freezer full of them (blueberries that is). Which reminded me that I had a recipe on my blog for Blueberry Zucchini Bread (which was so old that I decided today to update the post). Hmmm...kind of reminds me of "when you give a mouse a cookie". Ha! 


I was excited to try my "new" to me mini loaf pans that my friend Deborah from Salvage Sister and Mister gave me recently when she came up for a visit. The thing I love most about hand me downs of any kind, is that every time I see or use the item I remember the one who blessed me with it. 

This bread is so good. If you want it less sweet you can probably cut down on the sugar a bit. The outside of the bread gets a slight crust on it which can make it a bit tricky to cut and I'm not sure why it does that. But my philosophy is always "it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it tastes good", and this tastes good. 



Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:

3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. vegetable oil 
3 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 1/4 c. white sugar 
2 c. shredded zucchini 
3 c. all-purpose flour 
1 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. baking powder 
1/4 tsp. baking soda 
1 Tbs. ground cinnamon 
1 pint fresh blueberries (frozen work best)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. 
3. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared pans. (Frozen blueberries work best because they don't fall apart and they don't turn the batter purple)
4. Bake 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. **NOTE: if you are making muffins or using mini loaf pans adjust cooking time accordingly. Muffins usually only take 15-20 minutes and I think my mini loafs took about half an hour. 
5. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

(Printable Recipe)


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

  1. My sister gave me a recipe just like this. And I agree it is so good, especially since it is an odd combo. Your garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts